Omega 3 fatty acids are the building blocks of a healthy life, with accurate information they can be inculcated into one’s daily lifestyle effortlessly. The information overload via various sources from the web, the newspaper to your colleagues can be overwhelming so it is integral to first understand the basics.
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS OR OMEGA 3s
Omega 3 fatty acids are highly fundamental fats that need to be acquired from basic daily diets. The human body does not naturally produce these fatty acids and hence one needs to obtain them from daily food intake and other health supplements.
An omega 3 is a combination of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which are mainly marine-derived or from animal foods and algae.
Omega 3s work in several ways and are required for core functioning of the human heart, brain and the functioning of the body as a whole. The most common food source for Omega 3s are –
- Seaweed & Algae
- Chia seeds
- Fatty fish like mackerel, salmon and Herring·
- Ghee (Clarified Butter)
& so many more!
For those who do not eat it or if it is not readily available, fish-oil and flaxseed supplements are readily available in the current market.
BENEFITS OF OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS
- CURE ANXIETY & DEPRESSION – Depression currently affects 300 million people globally (According to World Health Organisation Study as of March 2018), while 275 million suffer from various anxiety disorders making it one of the most prevalent neurodevelopmental disorders. Omega 3 fatty acids (mainly EPA) drastically benefit those battling these disorders.
- IMPROVES OVERALL HEART WELLNESS – Omega 3s reduce fatty plaques inside the arterial walls, in turn considerably dropping the risk of a cardiac arrest. Other heart benefits also include –
- Reduction in bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol
- Reduced inflammation
- Reduced triglycerides
- Regulated heartbeat
- ADVANCES METABOLIC RATE – Due to the precarious nutrients and the ability to enter every cell membrane in the human body – omega 3s boost metabolic rate, improving body composition, counteracting obesity-related metabolic changes, thus effectively regulating blood pressure & diabetes.
- IMPROVES COGNITIVE FUNCTION IN CHILDREN – ADHD is a common behavioural disorder characterised by a low attention span and hyperactivity mainly affecting children. Omegas 3s improve attention and radically reduce aggression and impulsiveness.
- HELPS BURN STORED FAT – Omega 3s modulate lipid metabolism by regulating adipokines. These are hormones that facilitate breakdown of fat for energy generation and play a decisive role in the genesis of inflammation and insulin resistance associated with obesity
- INITIATES SPEEDY RECOVERY – Omega 3 reduces inflammation of tissues and organs thus proving beneficial for stronger immunity. They also enhance immune response by supporting immune cell function. EPA and DHA boost immune strength by increasing the actions of the major immune cells while controlling the inflammatory response.
When it comes to the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids, these may just be the tip of the iceberg. New studies are showing powerful benefits for the body and the brain and confirming that Omega 3s are vital for optimal health. For people deficient in omega 3 fatty acids, supplements are an effective way to boost health.